Monday, January 18, 2010

Change your ideas about how to earn money


By Robyn Davis Sekula

As I've written before, I'm a regular listener of Dave Ramsey's radio show, and it irks me when he suggests that the male in the household get a second job, or even a third, before he will suggest the woman explore her work opportunities. Women sometimes have more education than their husbands and more earning power - and I really wish folks like Dave would consider that. Don't assume the dude in the house is the only one who can pull in the dough. Plus, having one person do all the earning and one person do all the child care makes for an uneven house, with one person burned out entirely on spending every waking moment with little ones and the other burned out from working allllllll the time.

I'm cheering as I read the story below, which says that more women are working while dads stay home. Our ideas about work are changing, and I say great. With the technology advances in the past decade, you can work full-time or part-time from home, at night, on weekends, or during regular weekdays. You can make your own job, as I have done during the past six years. I've surpassed my husband in terms of income, and I have the most to gain by the risks I've taken. In fact, in our household, I'm the one who is the most comfortable with risk and has the greatest income potential. I'm the more natural entrepreneur. I really didn't know this until I took that leap.

What I want people to do is explore their options a little more. If you're a teacher who is not teaching but you'd like to earn a little money, consider tutoring, which is far more lucrative than substitute teaching. Consider picking up some jobs cleaning homes, if you like to do that, while your kids are in school - and this could apply to a man or woman.

Whenever you hear yourself say, "I can't do that" ask yourself why. You may not have an answer, and if you don't, you're looking at an opportunity.


http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/15/national/main6101166.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment