Friday, March 5, 2010

Lake Forest stunner: Secret millionaire leaves fortune for Lake Forest College scholarships - chicagotribune.com

By Robyn Davis Sekula

Everyone loves a story about someone who lives frugally and after their death, a huge fortune is discovered and donated to a worthy cause. We love to think about who would get such a fortune if we had it - and how surprising them with the funds would be deliciously satisfying.

But I have a problem with these stories. They don't always reflect the near-abject-poverty that some of these donors choose to live in. They deny themselves every single luxury - including vacations, good food, a better home - to do something after they die, something they'll never see.

We are better served by living somewhat frugally, and yes, saving and investing, as this woman in Lake Forest, Illinois, did. But living that sparsely makes me sad. Our money is designed to give us some pleasure in life.

I wouldn't mind to have a sizable gift go to a cause I love after I die. But I want to live a little, too. I believe that healthy investing means you get to do both.


Lake Forest stunner: Secret millionaire leaves fortune for Lake Forest College scholarships - chicagotribune.com

Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment